Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Ten Minutes to a Happy Child

Today as I was setting up this blog my almost 7 yr old son came in with what is typically 1 of thousands of "Mom will you... can you.... " requests he makes each day. There are days when sadly I am so wrapped up in what I think is important that it's easy to forget that he is six years old and he NEEDS me for many things. The time will come all too soon when he won't need or want Mom for many things.

Today's request was "Hey mom can we make a ball with this bouncy ball kit I have?" I constantly renew my commitment to trying to find ways to say yes so I paused for a moment and thought about it. He handed me the carefully gathered contents of the kit and waited for my response. Yes Jack... we CAN make a bouncy ball ! The kit required the pouring of some dry granules into a mold (1 minute), the soaking of the filled mold in water (1 minute) the waiting for the ball to harden enough to be removed from the mold (3 minutes) ... repeat for the second ball... a total of 10 minutes and I have a happy child! How hard was that?

So my challenge to you is ... take 10 minutes and do something that your child wants you to do. Find a way to make your child happy... find ways to say yes. I don't think you will ever regret taking a few minutes away from your computer, cell phone, television to make your child smile.

No comments: